Become a member
Do you want to become a member of Lagoon Toastmasters Club?
Toastmaster International is a non-profit organization and a leading movement devoted to bringing out the best of communication and leadership skills among individuals.
This organization can help you lose the fear of public speaking and learn skills that will enable you to be more successful in whichever path of life you have chosen. You will provide and receive constructive evaluation and will learn by speaking to groups and working with others in a supportive environment.
Each meeting will provide you with an opportunity to practice and learn how to:
- Conduct a meeting
- Give impromptu speeches: Members present one to two minute speeches on assigned topics.
- Present prepared speeches: Four to Five members present speeches based on projects from the Toastmaster International Communication and Leadership program manual. Projects cover topics such as Speech Organization, Voice language, Gestures and Persuasion.
- Offer constructive evaluation: Every speaker is assigned an evaluator who points out speech strengths and offer suggestions for improvement.
This is an ongoing process and once you are called a Toastmaster in one part of the world, you are a TOASTMASTER in any part of the Universe. So what are you waiting for? Come and join the Lagoon Toastmasters Club and learn to successfully formulate, express and sell your ideas and get rid of that nervousness you feel when called upon to speak.
1. What are the benefits?
- Enhance communications and leadership skills
- Develop thinking and listening skills
- Learn to give constructive feedback
- Improve self confidence and ability to get things done
2. Why Lagoon Toastmasters Club?
Lagoon Toastmasters Club located in Sharjah, UAE, is a long established Toastmasters Club with a fine reputation for excellence. Members have chosen to join us for the following reasons :
- A large membership base, which means a big audience for giving speeches.
- A mixture of various nationalities and cultural background, which enables exchange of ideas from different perspectives.
- Members’ profile varies in terms of age, profession and work experience.
- We have set up an Award to recognize outstanding achievements by members in Toastmasters’ speech contests.
3. What will a member get?
On joining as a member, you will receive a new member kit. It contains manuals and booklets to guide you through your Toastmasters journey of leadership and communication. In addition, you will receive each month from Toastmasters International a magazine entitled “Toastmasters”, that provides insights and latest information on communication and leadership.
4. How to join?
If you have reached eighteen years of age and feel that you have a fairly good command of spoken English….
- Attend at least one meeting as a guest
- Fill out an application form
- Pay the registration and membership fee
Please contact our VP Membership to arrange for a visit to one of our regular meetings to experience Toastmastering in person.
If you are not sure whether you’d like Toastmasters, why not visit one of our meetings? If you don’t think it’s your cup of tea, we’ll still be happy you came by.
5. The Toastmasters program :
As part of your membership, you receive a manual that leads you, step by step, through the process. You will get the chance to learn and then practice each technique by giving a short speech. When you join Lagoon Toastmasters Club, Sharjah, you get a mentor, a long-standing member who has been through the program. Your mentor will support you, answering your questions, giving you feedback and cheering you on! We also have an extensive library of resources that you may borrow, because you belong to our club.
Your first speech is called the Ice Breaker speech. It’s short, only 5 to 7 minutes. The subject: you! Tell us about your hobbies, your favorite book, your children, your work, your pets. Anything that interests you. We have just met you and we would like to get to know you better.
After you’ve “broken the ice,” you proceed through the manual, learning the different aspects of good public speaking. How to use body language and hand gestures; how to pick the right words; how to organize your speech; how to use humour effectively (and safely!); how to close with impact.
Your mentor will be there to help you. We assign a theme to each meeting, to help get those creative juices flowing. And, most importantly, you decide when you want to give a speech. It’s up to you to proceed, at your own pace. The best part is that your fellow Toastmasters will offer you encouragement at every meeting, so you can practice speaking in a friendly environment.
Our meetings aren’t all about prepared speeches. We have a variety of short, simple roles that all members are encouraged to take on. These are generally one to two minute presentations, like “Word of the Day” or the “Table Topics.” Want to know more? Come to a meeting and find out what you’re missing.
The Toastmasters Education Program
A. Communication Program – The first ten projects
- The ice breaker – to discover speaking skills you already have and skills that need some attention.
- Organize your speech – to select an outline that allows the audience to follow and understand your speech.
- Get to the point – to bring out your message
- How to say it – to use simple words and sentence structure
- Your body speaks – to use body language
- Vocal variety – to use various aspects of your voice
- Research your speech – to support your speech with facts, examples and illustrations
- Use visual aids – to add impact to a speech
- Persuade with power – to persuade listeners to adopt your viewpoint or ideas or take some actions
- Inspire your audience – to inspire listeners by appealing to noble motives and challenge them to achieve a higher level of achievement
B. Leadership Program – The first ten projects
- Listening and leadership
- Critical thinking
- Giving feedback
- Time management
- Planning and implementation
- Organizing and delegating
- Developing your facilitation skills
- Motivating people
- Team building
Contact Lagoon. Fill in your details below and send.